Thursday, October 8, 2009

Holy shit he's winning

Second race weekend, first actual race, Portland International Raceway, June, 08.

Drove the 950 miles to Portland to take part in Vintage Days, a 2 day festival of vintage bike racing.

The back story: my girlfriend and I rode to Portland on my street Guzzi in 05 and entered it in Vintage Days (long story) and made a ton of friends, had a blast and also got bitten by the Honda 160 bug (another long story).

Anyway...... I have to set the stage. While my bike is legal for AHRMA Superbike (even then I'm pushing it as the engine is a '97, but I run under the 'like technology' rule) the Open Vintage class at Portland has a 1972 cut off year. There's an argument to be made that technically Guzzis are pretty similar from 1972 all the way to the late 80's but an 1100 square fin is probably stretching things.

So. In the interest of fairness I approached my competitors and spilled the beans about how this was my first race, "it's an 1100, hope you don't mind, but I'm not going to win anyway." "Oh no, of course, that's great, glad to have you" was the reply. Great!!!!!!!

And I then went out an won. Twice. Shit!!!!!!

The title to this posting is using the words uttered by my girlfriend to a friend of ours.

The race was great. The bike felt good. Powerful and smooth. A bit of chatter. Probably the worst thing was after a bumpy corner I'd have no front brake. This took awhile to figure out. More on this later.

There was a bit of grumbling after the racing in the pits but generally everyone was very cool.

This winning thing is fun!!!!!!


Ready to go






No comments:

Post a Comment